Free call blockers to help stop scammers target people with dementia
The National Trading Standards (NTS) Scams Team is focussing on dementia sufferers who may be receiving scams or nuisance calls and offering a solution. The NTS Scams Team is offering FREE call blocking devices.
Why install a call blocker?
Previous trials have shown the blocking technology supplied by trueCall (www.truecall.co.uk) is extremely effective blocking over 95% of nuisance calls.
People have reported many benefits from having a call blocker such as:
- Allowing people to live independently for longer
- Significantly reducing the risk of financial harm.
- Reducing anxiety, confusion and stress for older people, their family and their professional carers
- Reducing the risk of trips, falls and distraction accidents due to getting up to answer the phone unnecessarily
- Helping those who live alone feel safer and more in control and giving peace of mind to their family and friends[i]
To get a FREE call blocking device, YES should be answered to the following
- Do you or the person you are applying for receive nuisance and scam calls?
- Does the person who would like the call blocker have dementia?
NTS would also encourage you to do the 20 minute Friends Against Scams online learning. Friends Against Scams has been created to tackle the lack of scams awareness by providing information about scams and those who fall victim to them
If you have any queries please contact NTS at Call.BlockerProject@eastsussex.gov.uk
To see what else the government is doing to combat nuisance calls by searching for #NoNuisance on social media.